Sunday, March 6, 2011

That which is above is as that which is below

As I sit at my desk everyday darkness falls that little bit later.

Each day shows a new sign of Spring.




I'm not sure why but these last few days I've felt colder than I did when we had the snow and ice earlier in February.
At night when the house is silent and all except me are asleep I immerse myself in water. Physically and mentally. (Yes, I confess to being a shower/bath nymph) I could stay there for hours if I could, letting the water flow over me. And as it does I meander through the woods waiting to catch a flash of irridescence of a dragon or damselfly. Or dream of swimming in clear fish filled waters. Or having a picnic on a secret island with simple food such as cherries and a jug of milk.
 
Connection between ourselves and nature, is as my late night meandiring in the bath, also the theme of my latest painting as much of my work is.


I have named it 'As Above, So Below' This painting is about how we are all interconnected on the planet by a magic or lifespark that entwines us.


I called it this, as these words 'as above so below'came into my head as the painting took shape. It was quite strange really as it almost felt like something was telling me to call it this? The phrase seemed familiar to me and I had probably read it and locked it away in my store cupboard of a mind which I'm afraid I'm always losing the keys to. Anyway you well read folks probably know all about the origins of this phrase but I had to google it after it popped into my mind. And so I was quite taken aback when there it was saying the same as I was trying to portray just a of glimpse in my picture..

"The significance of this phrase is that it is believed to hold the key to all mysteries. All systems of magic are claimed to function by this formula. "'That which is above is the same as that which is below'...Macrocosmos is the same as microcosmos. The universe is the same as God, God is the same as man, man is the same as the cell, the cell is the same as the atom, the atom is the same as...and so on, ad infinitum."

You can read more here

Be warned, you will lose yourself along corridors of dusty doorways leading to a maze of ancient secrets and an emerald stone tablet that reveals the magical secrets of the universe. Wonderful!

No comments: