Thursday, July 29, 2010

finding God, religion, and spirituality.



The following are a few quotes from an article I read by Steveb McSwain, Speaker, thinker, activist, and spiritual teacher; author, 'The Enoch Factor: The Sacred Art of Knowing God', titled "Finding God After Religion"  These words that he writes are the closest that I can  say best describes how I feel about finding God, religion, and spirituality.

"You don't have to go to church to know God.

people go to church to find God. Instead of finding God, however, followers are often saddled with a catalogue of "do's" and "don'ts" as onerous as the US tax code. They are told what to think, how to believe, as well as how they're supposed to live.

If there is anything Jesus, and the Buddha, made abundantly clear it is that the wind blows where it will. You can hear it, see its effects, and feel its power, but you can never contain it. In other words, the moment I stopped trying to find God, God found me. I love the way Deepak Chopra once framed it: "God is not difficult to find; God is impossible to ignore."

there is nothing you need to do to know God. You know God already

Finding God after religion? Remember the following: In Eastern thought, there's something called "the law of least effort," or "do less and accomplish more." If you will give up the "doing" and, instead, just enjoy "being," I think you'll make a great discovery. The psalmist said, "Be still and know ... " In my own experience, I have found that when I'm present (and that's my spiritual practice), I'm immediately in Presence, the real and sacred sanctuary of God.

No comments: